Thursday, January 1, 2009

Dutch Apple Pie (using Dehydrated Apples)


This was hands-down the best apple pie I've ever had. It's all about the crumbly topping. When you reheat a slice the next day, the topping melts a little and is AMAZING with ice cream. Love things that are just as good or better the next day. Plus, I didn't have to cut or peel any apples. Yay for less work! Extra bonus, every single ingredient is in my food storage. It's so good to know I could make tasty food, even if I hadn't been to the grocery store in months.

Dutch Apple Pie
From Everyday Food Storage

One pre-made pie crust (I used a roll out one b/c I haven't tackled pie crust yet)

Preheat oven to 350.

Filling:
2 cups dried apples, firmly packed
2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

Add apples to boiling water let set for at least 5 minutes, with the heat still on. Mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add to apples and continue cooking until thick. STIR CONSTANTLY to prevent scorching. Pour mixture into pie shell and dot with butter.

Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used white, but I'm going to try whole wheat next time)
1/4 cup butter

Cut ingredients together until crumbly. (I always find this is easier with your hands than with two knives.) Sprinkle over the apple mixture and bake at 350 for 55 minutes. (Don't forget to cover your crust edges with tin foil once they start to brown. Or cut the edges off before baking like lazy me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment