Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies


I've been making things from scratch lately, but had this one cake mix lying around. Instead of cupcakes, I decided to use it unconventionally. And oh man. I'm going to watch for the next sale on cake mix so that I can stock up. And try it with coconut next time.

A tip: Use your stand-mixer unless you have a powerful hand-mixer. My hand-mixer is old and had some trouble with this dough. And it's much too stiff to do by hand. Believe me, I tried.

Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
From Everyday Food Storage

1 pkg Devils Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (or other add-in)
1 cup chocolate chips (or other add-in)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Beat half of the dry mix, the butter, vanilla and eggs on medium speed until smooth. Stir in remaining cake mix, the nuts and chocolate chips (or other add-ins.) Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes.

Other suggestions for add-ins are chocolate chunks, peanut butter chips, mint chips, crushed peppermint candies, white chocolate chips, toffee bits, coconut, chopped maraschino cherries, etc. The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. im pretty sure these are how you make homemade oreos. you just have to make cream cheese filling and put it in the middle of two of them

    ReplyDelete